Spring is here and you’ve decided to list your home! Looking around you may see a house that is well loved and lived in, but a buyer wants to see how they can make it their own. Here are a few tips for staging a home to make it ready for beautiful listing photography and potential buyers.
- Lighten Up! Open the drapes, turn on the lights and add mirrors to bring light into the home. Homes show better when bright, open and inviting.
- Showcase what makes your home special. Does your home have large windows with a fantastic view, beautiful arches or other architectural features? Highlight what made you fall in love with the house and what will set it apart from the other homes on the market.
- Keep the palette neutral. When staging you want everyone who sees the home to envision themselves living there. This can be difficult when a lot of personality is shown throughout the decor. Keep the paint and furniture neutral with some pops of color in decor for interest.
- Keep it comfortable! You want potential buyers to feel comfortable and want to stay when walking through the house. Scented candles, accent pillows and keeping your home at a comfortable temperature will make potential buyers feel at home quickly.
- Add curb appeal. First impressions are very important. A quick power wash, painting the front door, raking and trimming branches can set the tone for a showing.
- Define each space. Get creative and make sure each space is highlighted for use. Creating an organized mudroom, children’s workspace or home office can help a buyer imagine how they would use the space.
- Visit other listings in the area. This will not only give you ideas for your own staging, but also help you understand what your house is being compared to. This perspective will help you learn what buyers expect and what sets your house apart from the rest.